Monday, June 16, 2008

Neuro Update...Monday..


Yes, he's sticking his tongue out at the camera.
Dr. Wilson swung in just a while ago and tells us that the post-op MRI looked "superb" and that he "couldn't be happier." He mentioned that James' right arm motion will come back and that it was a side effect of him working in that area of the brain. He mentioned that every ounce of metabolism is going toward healing James' head and that we should expect the grogginess and that we can put the junk food to him. Most of the calories will be used to heal his head.


Dr. Wilson also confirmed that the tumor was the size of a peach. Yes, you read that right, a peach. Without question I'll never, ever look at a peach the same way again.


Oncology swung by to introduce themselves. Pathology is still out, but the new oncology doctor for the week wanted to introduce himself. Coming off of Dr. Wilson's visit, it was rather sobering. But the silver lining to that cloud is that the oncology doctor said that JT has overcome his first and biggest treatment challenge - tumor removal.


Physical, occupational and speech therapist each stopped in for only a moment. The phy/occ therapists moved JT to the chair and the speech therapist asked some questions and tried to get some words. They'll all be back tomorrow.


Lastly, I can't say enough about the nurses who have been by our side throughout. I'll have to post more about them later. But for now I want everyone to know that the nurses, techs and med students here in BBCH, SCU and Radiology are amazing. Just amazing.


dct
p.s please excuse any errors in spelling and grammar...I'm trying to do this quick.

10 comments:

Unknown said...

Donald,

We are all so excited on JTs progress. Your means of communicating to the family is outstanding. All our biggest fears were distracting you with status questions. If you need anything whatsoever, let us know. Maggie and Michael

kbalzano said...

Don,Jen and James,
Thank you for letting me into your life today. Your strength and grace should be an inspiration for any parent with a sick child! James is blessed to have you pull him through this.God speed James!
The Balzanos

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

I am really just amazed at how the little guy is doing. And Tate was very pleased to hear his buddy James was sticking his tongue out. Don and Jenn, I want to say that I am utterly amazed at the way you two are handling this; your grace and gentle bravery are a true inspiration, and remind us about what is really important in life. It's something I feel privileged to be a part of, but wish it were under less harrowing circumstances. James is a true fighter, and he is lucky to have such wonderful and loving parents, and such an excellent cadre of uncles as well. We're here for you guys, and ready to do anything you need or want us to do.

dbt said...

Hi Don and Jenn,
I am Ben Thompson's mom ( he was a Tiger with JT at First Lutheran). he staff at First Lutheran was devastated to hear of James' illness. But Shannon has being keeping us updated. Ben would love to visit, but if it is too much for JT we understand.You are in our thoughts and prayers.
Dorothy Thompson

spelsue said...

Hello Taylor family,

The First Lutheran Family has all of you in their prayers. I can't begin to tell you how much he had touch our lives when he was a red teddy. The smile that came to my face when I saw the picture of him sticking his tongue out and of course agreeing with the comment that he will soon be talking up a storm! Ms. Carolyn and I would love to come visit when he's ready. We promise not to bring any homework.

Star

Unknown said...

Don,
I am so saddened to hear the news about James, but amazed and thrilled to read the small steps of progess he is making already. Please know that James, and you and your family are in my thoughts and prayers. If there is anything I, or any of us can do for you or your family, please let us know.

God bless.

Karyn G.

Amelie said...

Hi Don - so sorry to hear about your son's health issues and so amazed at all the progress you've seen in the last couple of days. What an incredibly strong little man!! Where do our kids get that from?? Keeping you in my thoughts and prayers.
Amelie

Amanda said...

Don,

Just a quick note to let you know that I'm thinking of you guys and rooting for a quick and speedy recovery for James. I like the pic of him sticking out his tongue - looks like he's already getting some of his sassiness back :) Let me know if you need anything!

Amanda

Brenda said...

Don
You are all in my thoughts! you have such an amazing little boy! Your strength is amazing! Please let me know if you need anything!!
Take care!
Brenda