Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Do as the text msg says and no one gets hurt!

So my brother, who will remain nameless - the one who works in high-end furniture and lives in Bath, ME - text messages me that "that blog isnt gonna write itself, ya know!" Joking, of course. But, fully true.

The reality is that there has been a lot going on today and we do want to share a bunch with you.

The bottom line is that James is doing better than he was yesterday. He's had his ups and his downs today. He is having trouble with his, er, poops. The nurses have been trying to alleviate this and hopefully it will "pass" soon.

On a more positive note the occupational, physical and speech therapists all worked on JT today. Despite JT's initial reluctance they were able to get him into a wheelchair and he went for his first post-op stroll around the unit. While he appeared unimpressed, I know that inside he was happy to see something other than the inside of the room.

During his therapies he picked out and ate M&Ms and, in a great sign of progress, he tried his darnedest to use his right hand/arm to eat ice cream! We came back and have had a good afternoon just hanging out.

To my surprise JT has been up for most of the day. He snoozed for a little bit while Jennifer and I got out and had a coffee with some friends from my office (Thank you CJT and Dad for "sitting"). I know that as the days go by J's level of grogginess will diminish as he gains strength. I just didn't expect today's level of alertness. It was a nice surprise and I suspect that he will sleep quite well tonight.

I can't express enough how much we appreciate all of your calls, emails, comments and texts. Believe me when I say we read and listen to each one of them. Just please be patient with us if we don't get back to you ASAP. Heck, as I type this I'm just now remembering that I never called my brother-in-law, Brian, back. Dude, I'm sorry about that. Also, we're certain that you understand that if tomorrow (Wednesday) we ask that no one visits the room. Some of you may have found that we put the visitor block up this afternoon - sorry about that. That's not to say you can't drop a note off at BBCH reception....but, we're in for a big day of therapy and the such and JT needs another day to just chill.

Again, thanks for the love and support. Love to you all.
dct

6 comments:

Carol Hidell said...

Hi Don,
I was so sad to hear the news about James, but it is amazing all the progress he's had in the last couple of days..hope for a quick recovery. You and all you family are in my thoughts and prayers.
Carol

john hop said...

Don,

hate to see such a sweet kid like James have to go through something like this.
it's great to hear the surgery went well, and hope things keep progressing from here.
we're keeping all of you guys in our thoughts and prayers,

the Hopperstads

The Painted Horse said...

Good morning,,having a heck of a time getting this to work ,,but here it goes..Best wishes for a great therapy day..Keep up the good work James...Hoping to stop by tomorrow afternoon..will that be ok? Love to you all , big hugs to James and Jack. Love, dad

The Painted Horse said...

Wow..it worked...now I am a Blogger! Sun is finally out..Love to you all.

Unknown said...

Hey,
Just wanted to let you know I am here if you need ANYTHING....please let me know. I love you guys and give James a big hug from me. Still praying...wont stop....LOVE YOU! Farley

Jen Anastasio (Marascio) said...

Don, Jen & Jack,
My family and I are thinking of you all during this difficult time. James, sounds like you're pulling through buddy, which doesn't surprise any of us as you have a wonderful, loving family and tons of friends behind you during this journey. We pray all of you can remain strong and that James, you continue improving! We love you! Jen, KJ, Alyssa, & Baylie