Thursday, September 18, 2008

Strike three....

Jenn took JT down to the clinic today where they tried again to get JT's port unclogged. But to no avail. They tried changing the needle again and gave JT more doses of Urokinase. Still nothing. So they took his needle out and sent him packing. The next step may be surgery to replace his clogged medi-port. All we're looking for is a break in the action prior to his full chemotherapy later this month.....This stuff just can't be easy!

To add insult to injury when JT got home tonight he felt warm and wanted to lie down. After taking his temperature a few times we realized that he was running a true temp. After a call back from one of his oncologists it was decided that JT should go to the hospital to have tests. So we applied Emla to his port area to numb him up and off Jenn and JT went to the hotel on the hill.

The sad thing is that the way things have been playing out over the last few days there's a great chance that his port isn't going to work properly when the access him to get blood cultures. This will mean an IV stick in the arm. The poor fella just can't get his own break. Let's just cross our fingers.

Probably sadder than that has been my own attitude lately. I've noticed that I've become more cynical and sarcastic and that these posts have probably, at times, reflected this as I try and keep everyone informed. Hopefully, by me realizing this I can make a more positive shift in my attitude. As Jenn has repeated to me I know that things could be a lot worse - there could be more tumor, James could have had a tumor that couldn't be operated on and so on. But lately, as the school year begun and there was no more radiation and a break in chemo I hoped and prayed that JT would have some normalcy. If only just a little bit. As that hasn't really materialized to my own satisfaction I have to learn to embrace the little things a bit more. And I'm trying. I really am.

Hopefully, the next post will have some better news. Until then, take care of each other and I'll be here looking for the good things.

Love to you all,
dct

1 comment:

Poulins said...

Don't you dare apologize for your attitude!! The Taylors have been stronger through this than most of us could even think of being. What this means is that you need everyone's support now more than ever. The road IS long, but it's headed to a healthy destination. More prayers going up for all of you. For James' health, for all the family, and for his Dad to keep his sense of humor. (because the rest of us couldn't live without it!)

Hang in there.